Adrenaline is addictive – chemically and behaviourally. Starting and running a business can be quite the rush – it’s risky, exciting and unpredictable. Some of us get a bit too used to that. Sometimes a useful reflection for all of us is whether we have created habits and behaviours which tend to give you a bit of an adrenaline buzz but aren’t necessarily great for your business.
Things to look out for are:
- Leaving things to the last minute
- Not preparing adequately for big events/pitches/conversations
- Not managing money or cashflow appropriately
- Working long hours which aren’t always productive
- Pursuing risky options without mediating the risks that you can.
If that’s you, you may want to consider how to wean yourself off the buzz. Perhaps being an adrenaline junky could be a weekend hobby rather than a work-day habit?
Blog by Isla…